Friday, May 26, 2006

New Music that Needs to Be Heard

As requested by Johnny over at 'Da Hat, here are some thoughts on a few CDs I just can't get enough of right now.

Moon over the Freeway by the Ditty Bops

If you've heard their first album and liked it, then this is a no-brainer. John and I were first introduced to these songs while seeing them in concert, and I was concerned that without the theatrics of the live show something would be lost, but the songs are perfectly captured on this album. It's been playing in my car constantly since I bought it on Tuesday and it's a quirky, toe-tapping, "olde timey" good time.

If you haven't heard their first album - get it now.

Fox Confessor Brings the Flood by Neko Case

This is the one of the best albums of the year so far. I didn't really know what to expect when I randomly decided to buy this album on my birthday as a little gift to myself, and I immediately fell in love with this album. Neko's voice is divine and soulful and the songs are extremely well written. Neko Case reminds me a bit of Sheryl Crow - but less pop and more folky and the harmonies are beautiful. I really cannot recommend this album highly enough. Days after buying this, I ordered Blacklisted, one of Neko's earlier albums, and while I haven't been able to devote as much time to it (since the Ditty Bops are monopolizing my car stereo) it is also an excellent album. If you're looking for something new and different, check her out, you won't be sorry.

The Greatest by Cat Power

I wasn't sure about this album, but I have always heard nothing but good things about Cat Power, and had previously purchased Moon Pix from iTunes. I like this album, it's a little less "depressed" sounding than Moon Pix, but still a very mellow and somewhat gloomy, and definitely worth a listen. (Plus the cover of the album is pink and shiny, and I'm a sucker for pink shiny things...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home