Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Another Day in the Trenches...

I was actually off today, but yesterday was an interesting day at work....

My favorite stupid customer...

I get a call from the cafe around 10 o'clock at night, and they say something about a guy trying to pay with an invalid card, so I head over there. There is a man and woman standing in front of the cafe counter, and the man is wildly waving around a Barnes and Noble gift card. He looks at me and says "These guys told me I can't pay with this. That is ridiculous when it is the same damn company!" I smiled, and tried to be as nice as possible and said, "Actually, we are two completely separate companies and we are no way affiliated with Barnes and Noble."

Now he's pissed. "You may be different companies now, but back before, Borders and Barnes and Noble were all the same thing!" Which is just completely untrue. Borders was founded back in the 70's by the Borders brothers in Michigan, and has always been it's own thing, in addition to owning all Waldenbooks and Brentanos locations. I smiled even bigger, thinking to myself that this guy is the biggest idiot of today and I know he's gonna make it on this blog. "Actually Barnes and Noble is our biggest competitor, and we have never been part of the same company."

"But I have returned books at the Beverly Hills store and I told them that I got them at Barnes and Noble and they said that was fine, so you must be the same."

For one thing, if its a book that Borders carries, any store will take it back. And secondly, we don't even have a store in Beverly Hills!

"Well, inventory is different than gift currency. Our system will not accept a gift card from another company, even though we do sell the same stuff."

Finally, he decided to pay cash for his items, and the total was 2.02. He handed the cafe seller $3, so the seller gave him back $0.98 in change. The guy slammed it down on the counter and yelled, "I DON'T WANT 98 CENTS. I WANT A DOLLAR BILL!" So the woman with him pulled out 2 pennies and put them down.

Perhaps there will be another fun story for you all tomorrow!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home