Thursday, July 17, 2003

Matt Hindt, the Wise

So in reflecting in the time spent with my brother, Matt, and his girlfriend, Katie, last night, I've suddenly become kind of weepy. It was really nice to spend time with him, which I will be the first to admit that we don't do that enough. But my bro and I didn't even get along that well until about three or four years ago when he came to Santa Cruz and we were free to be friends without the effects of our parents around. Rather than fighting against each other, we were able to begin working together toward a common goal of not only being siblings, but being friends.

So last night, as Matt and Katie were leaving our apartment with visions of a cheese pizza in their heads, my brother said something that is still making me all misty-eyed...

"Dude, it sucks that we won't be able to hang out anymore...."

(due to the upcoming LA relocation...) Now, mind you, I have heard variations of this statement ("You can't go!" "I can't believe you're leaving us!" etc...) and never know what to say. I appreciate the feelings behind these statements, but it always almost seems like they are said with the subconscious intention of conjuring feelings of guilt within John and myself for departing. (I know none of you mean to do that, but something deep inside wants us to feel as bad for leaving as you feel that we'll be gone.)

But that wasn't that statement that got to me. He continued,

"I mean, it's really cool as a....LIFE... thing...... but it sucks that we won't be able hang out anymore."

And then I knew that he understood why we were going. He wasn't trying to make us feel guilty. He was genuinely bummed about it, and excited for us too.

And I finally understood, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home